Monday, May 16, 2011

My wedding ring

My husband lost his black tungsten mens ring for the second time. The last tungsten promise ring I had to replace, I purchased a little over a year ago for $60.00. Now I had to replace that one. Before looking online, we shopped our local jewelers and every single store had this type of tungsten carbide ring listed at $888 or more. We couldn't believe the price went up that much over just a year. So we decided to try our luck online and found this commemorate ring listed at a great price. We received the carbide ring today and we our very happy with our purchase. We even like it better than his last two  carbide tungsten rings. We prefer the matte finish, but the little bit of polish on the sides adds a nice touch. It is a heavy, sturdy, well crafted ring. The photo is very close to the actual love ring, but it does look better in person.

I got married in 2006, and back then I never knew of Tungsten Carbide as a ring material. I don't wear gold jewelry so I chose Platinum, and my original wedding band cost around $700, which is $1200+ in today's money (and Platinum value).

The problem with Platinum though is that it quickly dulls and gets fine scratches on it, and before you know it it looks like cheap silver. You end up having to clean it all the time to make it look good. Don't get me wrong, the day it is clean, it looks amazing. Kinda like a black car. But it quickly loses that luster, which is annoying.

Several months ago I got so fed up with cleaning my Platinum ring, that I got a simple domed comfort fit Tungsten wedding band for less than a hundred dollars, and I was very pleased with it. Always looks shiny, cannot be scratched in normal use, and just looks great. But I ordered a size too small, so it was a little tight.

So given the amazing value of Tungsten as a ring material I ordered this one. The company is great, they ship very quickly, and I got the package long before they estimated.

The great thing about Tungsten is not only is it much cheaper than other metals, it always looks as good as the day you bought it. You can wear it every day, knock it into things, do stuff that would scratch the heck out of a Gold or Platinum ring, and it looks unblemished. You just can't beat that rugged finish in my book.

As for this specific model, it's comfortable to wear. The inside is smooth and nicely convex to fit comfortably on the finger. The edges are smooth and don't dig into the finger, which is important. The two angled edges are shiny and give the tungsten mens ring character. The brushed look of the main mens tungsten ring looks sophisticated, especially accented with the polished portions.

Frankly, the only reason I didn't go five stars is that the satin brushed portion looks a little grayer than the picture, which makes it look a little more like Titanium than I would have liked. But that is being pedantic, and really if I had the choice I'd have given 4.5 stars. At the end of the day, the price of this product, and similar, is unbeatable. I'd have to pay easily 50 times what I paid for this to get something similar in Platinum, and it just wouldn't be worth it to me. Especially given the tedious upkeep of Platinum.

For more read: engraved rings for men

No comments:

Post a Comment