Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It is my love ring

You can't go wrong with this tungsten ring. First, I'll speak to the sizing issues people seem to be having with these ceramic or tungsten rings: I was accurately sized at a jeweler using a flat sizing tungsten carbide ring (not comfort-fit) of a slightly smaller women's tungsten ring width (6mm). I calipered this carbide ring at exactly 8mm wide. Due to the comfort-fit on the especial ring (i.e. curved inside from edge to edge to avoid sharp edges), the sizing ring was an accurate representation of how this black tungsten steel ring would feel. Don't do the string or paper strip method to get your simple rings size. I was professionally sized as an 11. I tried the paper method, just for kicks, and could not even slip a size 12 paper ring onto my finger.

Metal does not behave the same as paper! If you're worried about the jeweler not wanting to size you, just tell him/her that you need to know your size so your wife can come back and buy you a ring. while you're there, take a look at the tungsten rings they have, and you'll get an idea of what they're like so you can come back here and buy it for less. I ordered a size 11, and the ring I received has a calipered inside diameter of 0.81" (USA size 11 is 0.81" i.d. on wikipedia). Their sizing is accurate!

Next, quality: I have an 8x loupe for photography and could find no flaws. The surface is smooth and highly polished, so fingerprints will show if someone is looking at your totally different rings from closer than 2 feet away. None of my friends stare at my fingers from 2 feet, so no issue there. Beyond 2 feet, it just looks fantastic.

Next, physical characteristics: Tungsten is heavy. Makes for great darts, they can be nice and skinny so you can hit closer groupings. On a ring, it does add weight if you're used to lighter metals. I'm replacing a titanium ring, so my ring weight has increased, but not uncomfortably as you might experience with a large watch. Tungsten is about 4 times the density of titanium, but only 2.5% more dense than gold and 8.5% less dense than platinum (also less dense than plutonium, but I don't think you can get a ring of plutonium). The width of the shell inlay ring is comfortable, and pretty standard for a man's wedding band. I have medium-sized hands and this ring is comfortable. The thickness of this band (0.088") is the same as my previous two titanium wedding bands (Synapse at 0.088" thick, Geomatrix Bevel at 0.09" thick).

Comparison to image: Pretty much spot-on. I think they may have used a size 8 or 9, so my size 11 is only very slightly proportionally thinner. Either way, it's a given that you're getting an 8mm wide band.

Value: I compared this style  tungsten carbide ring to one offered at the local jewelry store for $300. I also looked at the black carbon fiber version, but was hesitant due to the potential weakness of the epoxy. I like to abuse my ceramic or tungsten rings, so opted for solid tungsten. The box is simple cardboard with a foam holder (albeit with a felt top on the foam to give it a tiny bit more class than foam). The photo accurately depicts the box, which has no leather anywhere. Don't buy this ring for the box. Buy it for the Grooved Tungsten Ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment