Thursday, February 10, 2011

Interview : Tungsten Carbide Rings

Interview : Tungsten inset diamond rings

The singer tungsten diamond Rings has an betrothal opening for Robyn in concert. John O' Regan is a Canadian performance artist ready to take over the music scene. GoPride.com went behind the scenes to find out about the man behind the tungsten jewellry.

JN: (Jerry Nunn) Hello, John. Where did the name Tungsten Carbide Rings come from?

TR: (Tungsten Rings) The name is multifaceted like a bijou itself. On one hand, it's bright, glammy, shiny, poppy, captivating people and holding their attention. Beneath that is my music, there is something deeper and harder about it. That's real and powerful. I like the distinction between those things.

customize NBA ring
customize NBA ring

JN: The problem is when I try to Google you all these actual black tungsten steel rings pop up.

DR: Yes, it depends on the time of year. It may be a hot time to be proposing or something, sometimes its there and sometimes its not. If you type in tungstenringsmall.com that should work. If you refine the search a little it will probably get you what you want.
JN: Interesting. What kind of music influences you?

DR: Arthur Russell, Kraftwerk, Devo, TLC, Salt-N-Pepa, Janet Jackson and Grace Jones.

JN: Good choices and very eighties.

DR: Yeah, a bit of that. I really like some of the Rihanna song that I have been hearing on the radio. Oh, and Kylie Minogue puts out a lot of great records. Anything that's real, honest and daring I am into it.

JN: You have a glam image with the makeup and the eighties way you dress.

DR: Yes, I do.

JN: How did you meet up with Robyn?

DR: I am into her music and knew she was going out on tour. I threw her name in the signet ring and came out with a really great opportunity.

Tungsten laser Rings for mason
Tungsten laser Rings for mason

JN: It is. The show is already sold out. Have you been to Chicago before?

DR: Yes.

JN: Lollapalooza would be good for you also.

DR: Sure. If they want me to hang out, I would be more than happy.

JN: Let's talk about your new album.

DR: It's a pop record. I made it using Garage Band. It was my first attempt at making electronic music and writing pop songs from a personal perspective.

I am proud of it.

JN: You made it with Garage Band, an application on a MAC?

DR: Most of it, yeah, all of the backing tracks. It originated on my black ceramic ring that I borrowed. A lot of the songs are very simple and direct mostly because the computer that I was recording on was so old that it couldn't handle more than a dozen tracks at once without crashing. I am into working within limitations. After that I have moved on towards to software like Ableton. I am using that to power my live show. That was a good place to start. I wanted to make music and that was the easiest and the cheapest, the most direct way.

More read: tungsten carbide wedding rings

No comments:

Post a Comment